United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
DUE: 06 FEB 2024
Zimbabwe Country office has high and complex procurement processes. The incumbent is expected to display a strong client orientation with strategic partners and the CO colleagues. As such s/he will exercise flexibility in performing other emerging tasks assigned by supervisor/manager form various projects.
Under the guidance of the DRR Operations and direct supervision of the Procurement Analyst, the Procurement Associate ensures execution of effective, efficient and transparent procurement services and processes in CO. The Procurement Associate may supervise and/or lead the support staff of the CO Procurement Unit. S/he promotes a client-focused, quality, and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with Operations, Programme and project teams in the Country Office, Region and UNDP HQ and with vendors to exchange information and resolve complex procurement-related issues.
UNDP adopts a portfolio approach to accommodate changing business needs and leverage linkages across interventions to achieve its strategic goals. Therefore, UNDP personnel are expected to work across units, functions, teams, and projects in multidisciplinary teams in order to enhance and enable horizontal collaboration.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UNDP rules, regulations, policies, through implementation of effective internal controls.
- Elaborate the contents of internal procurement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and map CO procurement business processes in consultation with direct supervisor and office management.
- Provide guidance and inputs to the project team on procurement plans for the country office and projects.
- Prepare and conduct RFQ, ITB or RFP, and receive and evaluate quotations, bids or proposals in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Prepare Purchase orders and contracts in and outside e-procurement, prepare recurring purchase orders for contracting services, and create vendors and buyer profiles in e-procurement.
- Prepare submissions for internal procurement review committees (CAP, RACP, and ACP).
- Prepare reports on procurements in CO.
- Implement or partake in joint procurement processes for the UN agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Presentation of reports on procurement in the CO.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Quantum for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Implementation of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Develop and update rosters of suppliers.
- Implement supplier selection and evaluation.
4. Facilitate procurement knowledge building and knowledge sharing in CO.
- Organize procurement training for operations and project staff.
- Organize procurement training for vendors on e-procurement modules.
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in procurement.
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Sourcing: Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services
Financial Analysis: Knowledge of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, and other finance related transactions to determine their performance and suitability
Procurement Management: The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
Stakeholder Management: Ability to work with incomplete information and balance competing interests to create value for all stakeholders
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfill and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concern
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Secondary education is required with specialized training in procurement.
- A university degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or equivalent will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
- CIPS level 2 is a requirement for this position. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within one year.
- Minimum of 6 years (with high school diploma) or 3 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national and international level.
- Proven knowledge of UN or international Organizations procurement policies and procedures is desirable
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems such as ERP.
- Demonstrated experience in working with local government, CSOs, NGOs, donors and/or implementing partners.