DUE: 28 SEP 2023
Job no: 565943
Contract type: Consultant
Duty Station: Harare
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, play
UNICEF has been operating in Zimbabwe since 1982. We are a team of passionate professionals committed to the protection and fulfillment of children’s rights.
Supporting the Government’s vision of a prosperous and empowered upper-middle-income society, the country programme is aimed at contributing to sustainable socioeconomic development that provides all children, including adolescents, with opportunities to fulfil their potential, lead a healthy life, access quality learning and protection and meaningfully participate in society.
For more information about UNICEF Zimbabwe please click here
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF Zimbabwe is inviting individual applications to provide graphic design services to be on a roster for 36 months.
The current Country Programme of cooperation between UNICEF and the Government of Zimbabwe looks towards achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals 2016-2030 (SDGs) and builds upon continued improvement in the situation of women’s and children’s rights. The Zimbabwe Country Office works on a variety of printed and electronic products for the purpose of information dissemination, advocacy and visibility. These materials visually portray the position and situation of women and children in Zimbabwe so as to advocate this position with our donors and partners. UNICEF Zimbabwe produces large number of publications each year to support its programs and requires high quality GRAPHIC DESIGN Services for its various Activities/Programs and Projects for the next 3 years.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
To provide Graphic design services
- Upon consultation with UNICEF staff and receipt of a design brief for the design request, the contractor will need to provide a detailed work plan for each assignment comprising the estimated time frame, costing and a detailed summary of the work to be undertaken.
- The scope of design work maybe extended beyond only developing the design of communication or advocacy materials. On special occasion the designer may be required to design exhibition stall/booth, install the stall/booth, arrange display items, supervise the overall work etc.
- The designer should be willing to avail themselves for face-to-face meetings when the nature of work requires interaction between UNICEF and the designer.
- The designer shall conceptualise and produce layout design, etc. and will provide UNICEF with alternative proposals with different concepts and designs for each item commissioned.
- The designer will provide design and layout files compatible with UNICEF stipulated software and the Zimbabwean print industry unless otherwise requested.
- Delivery times should be agreed upon between designer and UNICEF and adhered to.
- For all designed items the designer will provide detailed/clear description of the Print Specifications (millimetres should be used as the standard of measurement for size).
- Designer will provide soft copy of the final design files as print ready PDF. Also, the designer will provide all raw/working files, all figures, charts, graphs in editable format including link files. For special cases particularly for books/reports a Web-friendly raster version of the document should be provided. Before submission designer should thoroughly check the inputs to ensure completeness and quality.
- The designer shall follow the UNICEF Branding manual and rules related to the branding requirements. Branding Guidelines will be shared by UNICEF.
- The designer shall be fully responsible for the complete UNICEF production work from design to prepress.
- The following scope of work can be adapted for specific assignments based on requirements with sufficient justification: Concept development, design and layout (each item category will require further specifications in quotations for varying sizes, page numbers, flaps, type of colors, graphs, tables etc.)
- Cover design
- Flip charts
- Hand rendered Illustrations
- Digital/Computer generated Illustrations
- Calendar (for wall/desk)
- Billboards designs
- Signage designs
- Bell signs/Mega signs
- Sandwich board signs
- Designs for Tin printing
- Map redraw
- Information kits with fact sheets/flash card etc.
- Package Cover for different information materials eg. CD-ROM, video cassette, etc.
- Press advertisements
- Photo-cards/ Invitation Cards
- Promotional items e.g. T. Shirts, bags, rulers, pencil cases, caps, sun visors, pens
Major tasks and deliverables:
|All deliverables will have to meet expected quality and standards as assessed by the supervisor of the assignment. Should the consultant fail to deliver as per expected quality and standards, UNICEF reserves the right to amend the payouts accordingly, or to delay them until satisfactory submission has been received.
The scope of the work and due dates will vary depending on the assignment.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have….
Bachelor’s degree in Graphic design or related field.
A diploma in a relevant field with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of a University Degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in providing all services relating to GRAPHIC DESIGN
- Proven experience in working with a variety of documents (i.e. pamphlets, posters, training manuals, report etc)
Knowledge/ Expertise/ Skills required
- The designer should have their own equipment.
- Should provide all raw files in UNICEF compatible Software, Adobe InDesign CS6 (or latest), Adobe Photoshop CS6 (or latest), Adobe Illustration CS6 (or latest), Acrobat pro and QuarkXPress.
Fluency in English is required.
The detailed consultancy terms of reference is downloadable via this link: Terms of Reference pdf.pdf
If interested and available to undertake the individual consultancy, please submit your application online and attach the required documents.
Technical proposal: The Technical Proposal should articulate an understanding of the TOR and include the proposed Tasks/Milestones, Deliverables/Outputs, Timeline and level of effort by deliverable. The similar table provided in the TOR is indicative. Applicants may use the indicative table as a guide or deviate as per the proposed approach. The proposal should also cost-effectively propose the local travel proposed by the applicant to undertake the assignment
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: 14 Sep 2023 South Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 28 Sep 2023 South Africa Standard Time