Overview of the role
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Coordinator is the lead/ focal point for all aspects of MEAL in GOAL Zimbabwe. S/he is responsible for leading the design, planning and effective implementation of GOAL Zimbabwe MEAL systems. S/he provides strategic oversight and leadership combined with technical expertise to ensure that GOAL’s MEAL systems are implemented effectively, are agile and fit for purpose as the programme evolves. The MEAL Coordinator is responsible for leading and coordinating routine project monitoring, ensuring the effective implementation of programme assessments, baselines/endlines, evaluations and the systematic capturing and sharing of programmatic learning throughout the GOAL Zimbabwe programme. S/he will also support the Programmes Director (PD) and Programme Managers by ensuring robust, well-structured and updated monitoring databases (including remote monitoring and management systems and process for each sector); and on time submission of high quality donor, HQ and government reports. A key part of the role will be capacity building and support to the MEAL team as well as for GOAL’s partner organisations. The MC will ensure periodic project performance reviews and updating of SCORE (GOAL’s System for consolidating and reporting MEAL Information).
Additionally, the MC will assist the PD and project managers in the development of donor proposals and progress reporting. Advocating for accountable programmes will be key to this role which should ensure evidence-based programming and donor compliance. The MC will be supported by Assistant MEAL Coordinator, MEAL Manager or any MEAL staff that may be appointed from time to time. The MC will be based in Harare with frequent travel to the field.
Technical Leadership and Management
- Oversee the development and operation of an effective MEAL system that provides timely and accurate data for management decision making, enhances quality programming and organisational learning while ensuring accountability to affected population groups.
- Provide technical support and guidance to consultants/partners/stakeholders working with GOAL Zimbabwe on MEAL related services and ensure that all assignments are effectively and efficiently executed with deliverables of very high quality.
- Work with the Global MEAL Team in rolling out MEAL Strategic Information Management Systems (SCORE) for new and existing grants. Ensure all MEAL staff that need to use SCORE have undertaken and passed the mandatory SCORE test.
- Work with Project MEAL teams to ensure systematic monitoring and evaluation of programmes, and compilation and sharing of lessons learnt.
- Feed into the overall programme strategy, providing data and analysis as required for strategic purposes and new programme design, including proposal development
- Be an advocate for learning in the programme ensuring that learning is captured and shared effectively.
- Act as the main point of contact for MEAL within GOAL Zimbabwe and external stakeholders (including donors).
- Represent the needs and priorities of MEAL at internal and external platforms as needed for the production and dissemination of high-quality and actionable outputs of the MEAL systems.
- Provide capacity building, technical support, and training to GOAL’s programme teams and local partners on all areas of MEAL.
- Participate in and / or co-facilitate grant opening, review, closing and other management meetings in collaboration with the PD and respective Project Managers
Programme Quality and Learning
- Establish and lead learning capture processes with GOAL programme teams and partners, including facilitating regular forums to discuss lessons learnt and their application to future programming.
- Ensure standardisation of MEAL tools used by GOAL and Partners, including monitoring and reporting tools, SoPs, Data Aggregation tools and guidelines, leading on training and orientation sessions to ensure harmonisation of application.
- Lead regular Learning Review Consultations and Workshops with Programme teams and key stakeholders. Work closely with GOAL’s HQ MEAL team to disseminate learning products within and outside the organisation.
- Lead on the process of systematic Data Quality Audit checks for GOAL and Partner programmes, and ensure documented results and recommendations are shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Work with GOAL HQ MIS team to design MEAL data management products that support programme implementation and decision making.
- Enhance organisational learning through analysis of relevant programme data and presentation using suitable data visualization techniques to support the evidence-based decision making for programme development and planning purposes.
- Develop strategic learning briefs and write high level reports, highlight success stories, support the communication of programme impact/ overall results, targeting a variety of external audiences including donors and partners.
- Ensure that Lessons Learned generated from MEAL activities are tracked and addressed and ensure participation of the MEAL team in Programme Review and Planning meetings.
Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with PD and Project Managers to ensure that remote monitoring and management tools are in place, information is collected, analysis carried out, and feedback shared in a timely manner for all grants and programme activities.
- Guide the development and effective implementation of clear organisational and project level MEAL frameworks, logframes and monitoring plans and ensure timely (quarterly, annual) reporting on progress against performance indicators and targets.
- Develop or update MEAL plans, and ensure that routine project monitoring takes place on time
- Work with Project MEAL teams on surveys for timely data collection, data entry into CommCare, data validation and verification, data analysis, and report production.
- Coordinate, supervise and review all assessments, evaluations and research and ensure prompt data analysis and dissemination of findings to stakeholders – Initiate and work with Program Coordinators in designing and conducting KAP, LQAS, MICS, SQUEAC, Barrier Analysis and other programmatic surveys, assessments, and evaluations.
- Roll out Power BI software to MEAL teams to facilitate near real-time analysis for each sector, promote learning, and work with the PD to initiate timely evidence-based corrective action where required.
- Oversee the reporting of GOAL Global and country indicators through ensuring quarterly and timely reporting of indicators on the SCORE system. Ensure all MEAL staff that need to update SCORE have undertaken and passed the mandatory SCORE test
- Oversee the development/review of Terms of Reference (TOR)/ Scope of Work (SOW) for programme evaluations/ assessments/ studies that will be conducted by internal teams or external consultants. Ensure GOAL Evaluation Guidelines and donor guidelines are adhered to in the design of the evaluations/ studies.
- Conduct technical evaluation of tender proposals submitted by consultants/suppliers for GOAL programmes.
- Manage the relationship with GOAL and donor contracted external evaluators, including leading on communications, and acting as the main focal point, coordinating tool and report reviews by GOAL teams and ensuring quality implementation and deliverables.
- Oversee the roll-out of activities and training within the GOAL Zimbabwe Accountability Framework and update the framework as needed.
- Oversee the activities of the independent beneficiary selection and verification teams, ensuring beneficiary verification processes are independent and consistent.
- Ensure effective oversight and smooth running of GOAL Zimbabwe’s Community Feedback Mechanism.
- Continue to develop and improve on GOAL’s independent monitoring systems meant to ensure accountability, both to beneficiaries and to donors.
- Oversee the work of MEAL team on SCORE and ensure the SCORECard is up-to -date periodically with the SCORE Board accessible to relevant departments.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Standards of integrity in his/her work environment.
- Adhere to all GOAL policies.
- Under the guidance of the PD, support Project Managers in developing quality donor concept notes and proposals, ensuring good collaboration with all relevant departments.
- Support the PD and Project Managers in the development of strong data collection and monitoring & evaluation plans within each proposal, including work on log-frames and indicators, and ensure that project indicators are regularly and systematically monitored and reported.
- Ensure that all grant proposals and reporting include solid M&E components and work with the Programmes team to develop appropriate results frameworks, log frames and indicators.
- Support the preparation of complete progress reports with solid MEAL information and ensure timely submission of the same to stakeholders (donors, HQ and relevant Government departments).
- Communication with external stakeholders (e.g. donors, partners) and representation at external meetings/fora as may be required by PD
- Prepare internal periodic (monthly, quarterly) project performance reports and submit to PD.
- Work with partners on the preparation of any partner/consortium submissions.
- In collaboration with the Communication team, guide the development of internal and external reports, case studies, success stories and other visibility requirements.
Human Resources Management
- Ensure the proper implementation of GOAL’s performance management system for direct reports, including individual and project planning, regular feedback, coaching and mentoring, probation appraisals, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Support the development of job descriptions, management structures and performance management.
- Provide capacity building, technical support, and training to the MEAL team as well as the Programmes team and GOAL’s local partners on all areas of MEAL.
- Advise HR on the recruitment of staff, and in the identification of capacity building needs for the programme teams and organize relevant trainings/mentoring programmes /exchange visits to build expertise within the team.
- Participate in Recruitment, Selection and Talent management as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with the HR manual and any related policies.
Requirements: Technical & Functional skills
- A good first Degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Information Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Data Analytics, Statistics, Agriculture, Rural and Urban Planning or equivalent. A master’s in social sciences, M&E is an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ practical working experience in a managerial capacity with M&E or Accountability activities within an International NGO.
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrated practical experience with M&E methodology (particularly appropriate quantitative and qualitative/participatory research methods), data analysis and report writing.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken strong writing skills in English, including previous proposal and report writing experience is required.
- Experience working with major institutional donors and agencies such as ECHO/EC, USAID, UN agencies, DFID, and Irish Aid Experience in proposal development and report writing.
- Good communication, interpersonal and motivational skills and a proven ability to lead a diverse team under challenging field conditions.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with and supervising a multinational country team, and capable of working under pressure and in harsh environments.
- Proven capacity to build the M&E skills of colleagues, partners, and community members.
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in provision of trainings
- Experience designing applications/forms with ODK-based digital data collection software (e.g. CommCare, SurveyCTO, ODK, iFormBuilder, Kobo, etc.)
- Advanced skills with MS Office (particularly Excel).
- Experience working with Power BI preferred.
- Good understand of monitoring and evaluation basics – including tracking progress against objectives, preparation of Logframes, indicators etc, and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Knowledge of Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Analytical and strategic planning skills; strong organizational skills and an ability to plan projects and timetable activities.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of cross cutting issues i.e HIV/AIDS, gender equity issues, environmental management, Child Protection, and their relevance to humanitarian response work is an added advantage.
- Sound knowledge and ability to apply the People in Aid Code, SPHERE code, and GOAL policy & procedures and other regulatory codes.