Biomedical Research and Training Institute (BRTI)
DUE: 06 NOV 2023
The Human Resources Manager will oversee all the human resources functions of Recruitment and Selection, Staff development, Health, Safety, and Welfare, Compensation, Performance Management, good Labour Relations to ensure they operate at a high level of deliverable efficiency, integrity, honesty, and equity.
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Duty Station: Harare
Reports To: Program Director
Staff Managed: 3.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The HR Manager will be the go-to person for all labour-related issues. Reporting to the Program Director, the position will manage human resource activities such as job design, recruitment and selection, employee relations and wellness, performance management, retention plans, training and continual professional development. The HR Manager will work to ensure a happy and productive workplace enabling everyone to work towards realizing the program’s objectives. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and supervising the Human Resources team. The position will promote BRTI’s values and lead in shaping a positive culture on the program in alignment with national laws, BRTI policies, and USG PEPFAR rules and regulations.
The position’s key responsibilities will be as follows:
- Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall program strategy. This will include development and monitoring of overall HR strategies, systems, tactics, and procedures across the Laboratory Systems Strengthening program.
- Work closely with the payroll master to ensure maintenance of a current staff payroll and ensuring that fully executed timesheets are submitted by all staff every month to ensure timeous staff compensation.
- As focal person for HR related matters, the position will lead in managing the recruitment, selection process, including advertising and conduct of competitive interviews.
- The HR Manager will also ensure timeous provision of staff contracts, new staff orientations are carried out and maintenance of complete staff files and records.
- Ensure all staff have clear job descriptions and that these are communicated to all staff.
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance.
- The position will work with the PD and PI in implementing a personnel performance management system that is fit for project.
- Bridge management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances, or other issues like conflict resolution.
- Manage staff motivation, retention and nurture a positive working environment.
Arranging disciplinary hearings, board of enquiries on accidents/lost items, conducting exit interviews and management of contract termination processes.
- Manage staff leave in accordance with BRTI policy and statutory requirements.
- Support current and future program needs through the human resources planning, development, engagement, and preservation.
- Support the Finance and Operations Manager in maintaining the employee terminal benefits program.
- Implement or recommend for an equitable salary system through regular remuneration reviews to ensure that the BRTI manages to attract, retain, and motivate staff.
- Perform regular reviews and updates to ensure that jobs are correctly graded, and employees are remunerated in tandem with respective grades.
- Ensure standardization as far as possible across the organisation in terms of benefits, salary bands.
- Review and monitor staff benefits paid by the Organization such as loans, advances and other benefits.
- Ensure that the BRTI Child Protection Policy and the Staff Manual in general is sensitized to staff and is always part of the induction process.
- Work with the management to discourage all forms of violation by staff.
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation including any form of harassment for employees and beneficiaries.
- Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of BRTI acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
- Assess training needs to apply, maintain training schedules for equitable access to trainings by all employees and monitor training programs.
- Coordinating response to adverse events and other such management together with the Program Director (PD) and Principal Investigator (PI) e.g., accidents and national disasters that affect staff.
- Ensure legal compliance throughout human resource management.
- Degree in Human Resources Management or related field.
- Membership of a professional body and master’s degree in human Capital Development or related field an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ working experience as HR Manager, Industrial Relations or other HR leadership position.
- In-depth knowledge of labour law, HR best practices and an appreciation of the rules and regulations of USG PEPFAR funded programs is an added advantage.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity and ability to demonstrate good judgment, discretion, and confidentiality at all times.
- Good communicator, an ability function as a catalyst and coach, guiding people at all levels of the organization to facilitate their learning and development.
- Knowledge of HR systems and databases
- Demonstrable experience with Human Resources metrics
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and presentation skills
Interested candidates can submit their detailed CVs and cover letter by midnight on 6 November 2023:
The Human Resource Officer
Biomedical Research and Training Institute (LSS), 10 Seagrave Road, Avondale, Harare
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE SPECIFY IN THE EMAIL HEADER THE JOB POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.