Bindura University of Science Education
DUE: 23 OCT 2023
The University seeks to recruit a senior staff management team member who will lead the successful implementation of the University’s vision, enabling the institution’s further transformation to remain relevant, innovative and agile in the constantly changing global environment. Strong candidates for the role will have a track record of successful team leadership, with the ability and background to articulate a credible vision for the future of research and innovation services and promote that vision within the institution.
Under the overall authority and supervision of the Vice-Chancellor, the Director, Research and Innovation will play a key role in developing the public profile of the institution’s knowledge, work and outreach to a broad range of external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate should have a deep understanding of the higher and tertiary education sector with a proven track record in research, innovation landscape and experience of operating in academic research-intensive environments. He/she must have:
- A PhD in any discipline and a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Business Studies, Financial Management or its equivalent;
- At least five (5) years’ post qualification experience as a Chairperson of a Department/Head of a Research Unit;
- A minimum of twelve (12) research publications in accredited journals;
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property (IP), patents and copyrights;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilise resources through development of Research proposals and experience of successfully managing change would be distinct advantages.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Research and Innovation shall be responsible for but not limited to the following;
- Building and maintaining partnerships with technical and multilateral partners, bilateral donors and academic institutions to ensure alignment with major innovation initiatives;
- Initiating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating policies, systems and procedures dealing with University research and innovation;
- Ensuring financial and research probity in all projects conducted in the University;
- Managing a register of all research activities across the University;
- Developing mutually beneficial linkages with industry in order to develop partnerships and collaborative research;
- Providing leadership, oversight and direction to Faculties and Departments in all research and innovation initiatives;
- Developing new ideas and initiatives through to successful implementation to improve existing services or create new ones;
- Ensuring the completion and reporting of studies conducted in the University and producing an annual report detailing all research activities, income and outputs;
- Working with Innovation Hub Managers to promote the research, innovation and industrialisation agenda in line with the Education 5.0 thrust;
- Superintending over the establishment and operations of innovation hubs and industrial parks;
- Developing performance benchmarks and quality monitoring and evaluation frameworks for the institution’s innovation hubs and industrial parks;
- Leading resource mobilization and develop funding mechanisms for the section in accordance with the Institute’s strategy and work programme;
- Developing mechanisms for promoting innovation, production of goods, facilitating and coordinating collaborations with industry leading to the setting up of industrial hubs and putting in place mechanisms for the protection of Intellectual Property;
- Developing a research and innovation culture and agenda for Bindura University of Science Education;
- Developing a mentoring programme for emerging researchers;
- Ensuring the section is strategically staffed for effective delivery as defined in the work programme.
- Experience in researching and introducing innovative methods and approaches;
- Demonstrated capability to plan and manage projects;
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities to manage an effective and collaborative team in a diverse environment;
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their application merged in continuous PDF format to email@example.com consisting of the following:-
application letter, certified copies of Educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses.
Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for in the subject line and addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar- Human Resources and Administration
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date will be Monday, 23 October 2023. For more information phone (066210) 7531-2, (066210) 842711 (066210) 6230.