Great Zimbabwe University (GZU)
DUE: 29 SEP 2023
DEPUTY DEAN, JULIUS NYERERE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES | JULIUS NYERERE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Deputy Dean is a senior position in the University with the incumbent of this post assisting the Dean of the school in supervising a number of professional and general services as well as members of staff. The Deputy Dean will be reporting to the Executive Dean.
The Deputy Dean should: –
- Have a relevant earned doctorate
- Be a scholar of note with credibility among his/her academic peers
- Offer academic leadership
- Be innovative
- Be able to plan effectively and to inspire and motivate staff in the School
- Have a strategic vision for his/her School and for the role of the School in the institution
- Have proven management skills
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting the Dean in providing academic and administrative leadership in the School for the attainment of both corporate and School goals;
- Assisting in promoting and implementing Education 5.0 with regard to teaching, research, University service, innovation and industrialisation;
- Assisting the Dean in contributing to the strategic goals of the University by drawing up and implementing School business plans including research, publications and networking;
- Assisting in maintaining performance standards and ensuring fulfillment of the service conditions for all members of staff within the School;
- Assisting in ensuring quality control at School level and chairing Quality Committee meetings;
- Participating and assisting the Dean in generating revenue for the School through partnerships and collaboration;
- Effective management of the infrastructure and other assets of the School;
- Networking and facilitating collaborations for the benefit of both students and staff;
- Chairing meetings and Committees of the School in the absence of the Dean;
- Supervising and providing guidance to all department heads and faculty staff, coordinates and organizes their work, assists in recruitment, ensures that the approved training programme is carried out efficiently and participates in the planning and implementation of suitable in-service training courses for the faculty staff;
- Contributing to the evolution and maintenance of a conducive environment for learning at the University;
- Assisting the Dean in developing and maintaining relations with other organisations and persons, with a view to enriching the academic programmes offered by the School.
The ideal candidate must have at least eight (8) years teaching experience in higher education. Experience in field work, project and higher degree supervision, as well as a proven track record of research, publications, collaboration, networking and resource mobilisation is a requirement. Additional attributes that should be demonstrated are resourcefulness, interpersonal communication skills, ability to work with a team, provide leadership and embrace diversity.
Female candidates and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Police clearance is mandatory for successful candidates.
To apply, visit careers on Great Zimbabwe University website https://e-learning.gzu.ac.zw/careers. Applicants must fill in all the necessary fields on the application platform and attach the required documents. as a single PDF file.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 29 September, 2023