PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS TO BE BASED IN TROUTBECK, NYANGA
We are a leading producer, distributor and exporter of bananas, apples and other fruit in Zimbabwe and are continuing the growth and development of our production and distribution capacity. Our vision is to be a leader in all aspects of our chosen areas of operation. We are looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced candidate to fill the role of Apples Farm Manager. The position oversees the effective and efficient development of our apple operations, build value over time by the continuous improvement and development of the operation.
JOB TITLE: Apples Farm Manager
REPORTS TO: General Manager
REPORTING STAFF: Assistant Manager, Clerk, Foreman, General workers
INTERACTIONS: Finance Manager, QA (Quality Assurance), Human Resources, Accountant, Security Officer, Stores
LOCATION: Nyamagaya Farm, Troutbeck, Nyanga
· Planning, implementation, and monitoring of the total production process of crops aligned to world class growing techniques.
· Total management of production, harvest and packhouse processes according to company standards and procedures.
· Oversee daily farming operations, ensuring adherence to best practices and safety standards.
· Monitor and manage crop health, irrigation, pest and disease control, and other crucial farming activities.
· Manages all aspects of orchard operations and overall health of the orchard and fruit production.
· Management and oversight of all orchard operations and packhouse operations like pruning, chemical spray program, harvesting schedules, washing, sorting, grading, packing, storage, cold room, and sale.
· Oversee seasonal life cycle of fruit trees including pruning, IPM spray program.
· Plan, organize, and oversee the replacement and addition of new trees.
· Identify and implement new orchard management practices, techniques, and equipment.
· Maintain proper records and reporting of orchard production data and regulatory documentation (pick records, spray applications, produce safety documentation etc..).
· Make decisions about equipment use, maintenance, modification, and procurement.
· Oversee the preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment and tools used in the orchard, sorting, storage, and cider production. Ensure organization and proper storage of all tools and essential equipment.
· Oversee the overall mowing and maintenance of the orchard buildings and grounds.
· Identify new varieties and markets
· Staff management and development.
· Labour planning.
· QA (Quality Assurance) Compliance management.
· Provide support to cross functional teams in developing business plans, budgets, pricing structures and marketing plans.
· Sound leadership and direction and ensuring quality product output accuracy and consistency in processes and documentation.
· Building and implementing best practice policies and principles.
· Ensuring high standards of health and safety practices.
· Ensuring compliance with all necessary industry quality assurance standards.
· Meeting all specifications as required by both local and export customers.
The incumbent is accountable for maintaining the quality of the apples produced by
ensuring that all processes, corrective, and preventative measures are implemented according to Audit reports and are followed diligently and that resources required for operations are availed in time.
Human Resource Management
· Ensure right person in right positions with succession planning
· The incumbent will ensure that resources are available for the day to day running of business operations.
· The incumbent will ensure that they have adequate labour to carry out all field activities.
· He will also ensure that labour costs are in line with budgeted projections.
· The incumbent will ensure that all labour is wearing the required protective clothing and will liaise with Human Resources (HR) in this regard.
· The incumbent will monitor the performance of his subordinates. He will also be responsible for disciplining subordinates and managing industrial relation issues in conjunction with HR.
· Recruiting, leading, and developing first class management team to inclusive of your assistant,
· Ability to plan and develop capacity depth and skills at all levels throughout the operations,
· Maintain and develop SIC (Short interval controls) system ensuring all operation are accompanied by an approved SIC and the filing thereof
· Attention to detailed operations systems, and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure) (Standard Operating Procedure) (Standard Operating Procedure) to drive productivity and quality and crop planning from the field.
Healthy and Safety
· The incumbent will ensure that safety practices are adhered to both at work and the farm village. This is done through demonstrations and meetings whereby safety issues are discussed.
· Drive adoption of global best practices and benchmarks with local innovation.
· The incumbent is expected to manage relations with all key stake holders, the local community, regulatory authorities, and staff for the benefit of the business.
- Closely guard the reputation and integrity of the business.
· Attend to any other duties that may, from time to time, be prescribed by the General Manager & other Directors. i.e., duties for other business units.
· A Diploma or Degree in Agriculture is desirable but equivalent experience can be a substitute.
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
· Documented experience in agriculture and orchard / farm management is required.
· Familiar with various farm equipment operations and maintenance.
· Must possess an elevated level of practical orchard operations & tree fruit knowledge, and must be familiar and comfortable with equipment operation, physical hard work, and working outdoors year-round.
· Integrity, Passion and Energy, Intelligence, Bias for action and urgency.
· Must be self-motivated, enjoy teaching and leading staff.
· Honest, trustworthy, respectful, sound work ethic, and passion for fruit production.
Skills and Competencies:
- Technical expertise and high interest in driving technical progress,
- Confident and open team player,
- Strong leadership capacity with high impact and influence,
- Strong attention to detail,
- Proactive and entrepreneurial bent,
- Curious and demanding of new knowledge and its transfer,
- Proven ability to build and mentor outstanding and growing individuals
Working knowledge of common computer applications is a plus – Word, Excel, Google Documents, PowerPoint, and Sage Evolution etc.
You can apply via LinkedIn or applications are to be sent to the HR Officer via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 13 October 2023.